Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'm Not Admitting Defeat

Can I just say that this project should have gone better, at least in my mind.

It all starts with this:

Take one old spoon...
...cover to protect...

...take your well-used sledgehammer (I love my sledgehammer)...

...start pounding said spoon (and try not to pound over a divot in the driveway - DOH!)...
...and voila! After fixing the dents from the divot -a flattened spoon! (and a destroyed towel.)
Well, almost flat. Flat enough.
I filed and sanded the edge of the spoon as it was a little sharp and had some burrs.

Here's the unfortunate result of my first attempt at stamping silverware. Boy, oh boy, was it difficult to get an impression! The spoon wasn't completely flat and I think that was the problem.

Sooooooo...it could be a cute project and I'm not admitting defeat just yet, but I definitely need to work on getting a better impression if I keep going this way. I won't be happy until the process is working better.

Anyone try this and have some tips? I have a bunch of silverware and really don't want to waste it all on horrible attempts.What I want is really adorable plant markers! HELP!

8 comments:

  1. Not a bad start.....I never get a good stamp on concrete...

    I have to use an anvil and if you have to hit more than once you need to find your groove again...

    If you HIT HIT it will skip...if you HIT once then find the groove...you'll feel it and your stamp will fit back in the area it just stamped then HIT again..

    Here's some great video's and pointers on Beaducation http://www.beaducation.com/vids/detail/20

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, never tried this but like the idea! I'll be interested to see what tips folks can provide. Don't give up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try this, but know that my fingertips would suffer greatly if I did. I'll be checking back to see if anyone has advice on how to get this done.

    www.theoldblockhouse.blogspot.com

    @oldblockhouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic project! I do hope you get it right, but I see you already have some tips... I for one, never even knew 1 person that did this type of thing, and no I find out there are videos to teach you how to. Just goes to show, the internet really does know all.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you get it worked out I think this is going to be a great idea. I have faith you will figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many projects do you have going? LOL ~ I remember that stage of exploring my creativity after being a wife,mother and working and taking care of extended family ~ You learn a lot by dabbling ~ Go for it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the spoon plant tags! I don't think I have the patience to try it though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled on your blog and I love it! You have tried all of the projects I'm working on right now...scrable tiles, metal stamping washers and garden spoons!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I appreciate each and every one of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...