Sunday, April 10, 2011

Triathlon Shadowbox Tutorial

Today is my hubby's birthday and since he's so into triathlons, what better gift than to make a shadowbox highlighting all his races? There's always stuff from the races and it's been sitting in a pile on the bar for oh, about a year. Time to make something...

I've been getting wine crates from a local wine shop to use as office storage, but the shallow ones make great shadowboxes:

Always a good idea to prime bare wood:

And paint to whatever works with your decor. Stained would also be pretty to highlight the wine details. Black seemed right for this collection of memorabilia:


For every race, the athletes get some things to take home - for tri's, they get a swim cap, race bib #, and medal for finishing. Here's the pile I'm working with. This would work with anything that might be too chunky for a scrapbook.

The racing bib #'s paper the back of the box and provide the backdrop - some invisible tape on the fronts and packing tape on the back kept everything in place:

I wanted the swim caps to hang somehow, but they're a little floppy in their natural, empty-headed state:

If they're going to hang like a display, they needed a frame. Since we always seem to have those dry cleaner's wire hangars, why not put them to use?


I snipped off a length of wire with my trusty pliers:

Bent it into an approx swim-cap-shaped frame:

and now the caps hang flat:

(As you can painly plainly see, I haven't gotten around to painting the Gator office.) Now, how to hang these puppies...my first attempt was to string picture hanging wire from top to bottom:


I tried using clips to hang the caps and it really didn't work, so I punched holes in each cap:

Threaded the wire through them, twisting it as I went to hold the cap in place:

This was the hardest part of this whole project, but it came out fine:

The medals come with handy-dandy ribbons to hang them from, so it was easy to staple them to the top of the crate:

Add his plaque for 3rd place in his age group and there you have it; the 2010 triathlon season on display!

He was very happy with his birthday surprise:


He had just finished a triathlon this morning, so the present was very appropriate. I'm so proud of him!!

***Update***  Frank WON the triathlon this morning! Nice birthday present for my sweetie! It's incredible what he's done in 2010, and 2011's season is just starting - GO FRANK!

I'm linking this up to:

The Girl Creative



Just linked this up to Debbie Doos Newbie link party - thanks Debbie!

5 comments:

  1. I am having a Lisa Leonard giveaway and thought you would be interested.
    http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/
    And I am hosting a newbie party, come on by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie! I love Lisa Leonard's designs and you have my entry for that, me as a follower of your wonderful blog, and a big Thank You for hosting a Newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jill for joining me. Glad you did. Great project here. I see you will find lots of girls with common interests here. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill,
    I love the idea with the medals, and I love how you keep your travel tokens in jars. Terrific idea. Thanks for stopping at my blog Hoot-n-Nanny today. Debbie throws a great party! Also, congratulations to Frank. Way to go! I walked a marathon once and ran 2 half marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lanell,

    Love the name of your blog - so creative. I'm new to all of this blogging, so I'm learning by the great examples out there in bloggyland.

    Good job on the marathons! I'm not much of a runner, but did manage to finish 4 sprint triathlons myself before 'retiring' from the sport ;)

    Looking forward to spending lots of time on everyone's blogs!

    -Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I appreciate each and every one of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...